Avinasi is a very old town, located in the northwest of Tamilnadu. It is located between Coimbatore and Tiruppur towns on the Chennai-Kochi National Highway 47. It is part of the Kongu region (Kongunadu) which includes Coimbatore, Periyar, Salem, Dharmapuri districts. The history of Kongunadu dates back to 8th century AD. This region was under the rule of Cheras, Chola, Pandiyas and later Kongu Cholas, Kongu Pandiyar, Housalyars and Mysore kings. As per historical records, this town was built when the Kongunaadu was under the rule of King Karikala Chola. Avinasi was also known as Thiruppukoliyur. It is said that when Lord Shiva performed Agnidandav(the dance of fire), the heavenly gods and goddesses were scared and took refuge in this place. Now, the place around the temple is known as Avinasi and Thiruppukoliyur lies to the south of the temple. Avinasi temple finds its name in the Devaram songs(songs sung in praise of Lord Siva)
Avinasi Lingeswarar Temple:
Avinasi is famous for its Lingeswarar Temple. The temple was originally constructed by the king of Konguchola, Pandya HoySalar and the King of Mysore.
The main deity is Lord Shiva in the form of lingam, known as Lingeswarar. This is a swayambhu lingam(self-manifested). The shrine is located on the banks of river Nallar(which is dry now). A Deepasthambam (a pillar located at the entrance in front of the temple to lit lamps) of 70 ft, carved out of single stone can be seen in front of the temple. A 30 pillar hall built by the King of Mysore, Udayur in the year 1756 is located in front of the ‘Dheepasthumbam’.
The shrine of Goddess Karunambika (consort of Avinashi Lingeswarar) is seen separately and is located on the right side of the presiding deity.
The main tower of this temple is about 100 ft and considered to be one of the biggest in this region. The old tower was built during the period of Kongu Pandian – Sundarapandian (1285- 1300). In the intervening period the tower was destroyed and later reconstructed by the King of Mysore. Again, in the year 1860, the tower was damaged by the lightning and was totally demolished by the district administration. The present structure was constructed by Sundara swamigal of Kumara mutt in the year 1980. The intricate carvings depicting various events in Hindu mythology can be seen here.
There are about 32 stone carvings that are found at various places inside the temple. These stone carvings date back to 1149 AD and provide information about the contributions made by kings and others in the maintenance of the temple. It is believed that many more such carvings could be found under the earth.
There is also a well inside the temple and it is believed that water from river Ganges in Varanasi comes to the temple through this well. It is said that Sage Patanjali dropped his hand-stick into the temple well and received the same in the Ganges of Varanasi.
The temple records many wonders that have occurred in the life of the devotees who worshipped and meditated upon Lord Shiva here. Childless couples have been blessed with children after worshipping the Lord here.
Avinasi is located at about 41 km from Coimbatore in the NH47 and 15 kms on the SH174 from Tiruppur.
Nearest railway station is Tiruppur and the nearest airport is at Coimbatore.
There are frequent buses from Coimbatore and Tiruppur to Avinasi.
Temple remains open from 5:00 a.m to 12 noon and from 4:00 p.m to 8:00 p.m.